Arwen~ Those who are telling us we cannot see or visit people outside of our home, who are telling us how many people we can have at our home..who tells us what we must wear when we go outside of our home, who we can hug, where we can go and where we cannot..which businesses and or people are “essential” ( every person is essential..and their job provides their income) who tell us what holidays we can or cannot celebrate , who tell us we cannot toboggan or skate on a pond and so on….these policy makers and politicians are hypocrites in the highest order. Sitting on a plane, side by side with another person for hours is safe..going to another country is safe.
At what point are we going to realize that the many credible medical voices who denounced lockdown and all the draconian measures, who stated that we treat the Chinese virus as any other bad flu, we protect the vulnerable, if we are sick, we stay home, those experts are correct. A 99.9 % recovery rate for most people never ever required these authoritarian measures…but it sure exposed the lust for power and control across the board.
WAKE UP ,the mask has been removed off of COVID, it is not what it has been portrayed to be. We are being played, globally.
The top executive of Niagara’s hospital system has resigned from his roles as a key pandemic advisory to the government of Ontario after news reports Tuesday night revealed he has been vacationing in the Dominican Republic.
Stewart was a member of Ontario Premier Doug Ford’s vaunted pandemic “command table” that makes key decisions about the provincial response to the COVID-19 crisis, as well as its offshoot committee, the COVID-19 science advisory table. The CBC reported late Tuesday evening Stewart resigned from his provincial roles.
As of Tuesday night Stewart, who is in isolation at home for the next 14 days, is still CEO of both hospital systems.
“I regret this non-essential travel and I’m sorry,” Stewart said in the statement from St. Joesph’s.
Stewart then said everyone should avoid non-essential travel, including himself. However, he did not explain why he travelled overseas at a time when COVID-19 cases were escalating and the hospitals he oversees are under increasing pressure.
The statement claimed Stewart’s vacation was “approved,” although it does not say by who, and it is not clear how long Stewart had been in the Dominican Republic. The federal government issued a travel advisory against non-essential international travel on March 13.
The CBC report followrd several news reports across Canada of elected officials, including Ontario’s now-former finance minister, who have resigned or been fired from their government portfolios for travel out of the country during the worsening second wave of COVID-19.
It also comes as Niagara’s COVID-19 death toll continues to rise. On Tuesday, Niagara Health reported its 71st COVID-19 patient death, bringing the cumulative total for the region to at least 154 people.
Key Niagara Health leaders, including chief of staff Dr. Johan Viljoen, have been urging residents to follow COVID-19 safety protocols to avoid overwhelming the hospital.
“If we do not slow the rate of infection, the strain on the health-care system will continue to increase. We have worked hard to resume surgical procedures for patients who need care. We do not want to be put in a position where we are forced to cancel procedures again,” wrote Viljoen in a Dec. 12 statement. “Unfortunately, it is very easy to imagine a scenario where the hospital becomes overwhelmed with COVID patients, which is why we need to commit to the safety protocols in a very serious way.”
At the time of Viljoen’s statement, Niagara Health was treating 35 patients with COVID-19. That number hit a pandemic high of 92 on Monday but dropped to 83 Tuesday — in part because of several patient deaths.
The Niagara Health hospital system signed a letter on Dec. 17 — the day before Stewart’s holiday began — urging the province to institute a provincewide lockdown as COVID-19 cases, hospitalizations and deaths surged.
“The expected surge of infections post-holiday, combined with the known rise in seasonal illness we see annually at this time of year, is adding grave cause for concern,” said the letter.
This is not Stewart’s first brush with scandal.
Stewart stepped down from his post as chief of staff at Mount Sinai Hospital in Toronto in 2012 after it was revealed that under his watch the embattled CEO of Ornge, Chris Mazza, had been paid $256,000 by Mount Sinai for consulting work. The hospital could not confirm some of that work was ever completed.
It was also revealed that Ornge paid Stewart a consulting fee of $436,000 over seven years. Ornge could not confirm what work Stewart had done for the air ambulance organization.